PRACTICAL CHORDS and HARMONY
. . .a Player's Guide. . .
Chords and Harmony, a Players Guide --- (If the following sounds you, this Guide is the road-map you need to get on track!)
You have played the piano . . . practiced scales, chords, harmony and cadences. But, did your passion for music and your instrument make all the blood, sweat and tears “worth it”?
Maybe you’re a successful, serious musician now and it all makes sense,
... you actually GOT IT!
. . . but maybe some years ago you casually played for a while, stumbled through the chords and harmony - and then stopped; maybe you were overwhelmed and confused by it all. All the theoretical stuff – it can do that to you. . .
... “what the heck does this have to do with the songs I want to play?”...
You practiced and slaved to learn exercise A, but what you REALLY WANTED TO PLAY (but could never understand) was exercise B and C.
...after all, they 're basically the same progression
Examples A, B & C above are basically the same traditional progression:
I - IV - I - V7 -I
But the substitute chords in each example give a distinct, unique sound to each:
- A is your basic "piano lesson" cadence (chord progression)
- B sounds tense, more dissonant
- C sounds peaceful, more serene
The goal of this Practical Chords and Harmony guide is to help to get you back on track... the objective is to understand chord progressions, chord extensions and chord symbols.
Follow the links on the left through some basic, logical material. You will soon be playing alternate versions of basic chord patterns and backgrounds; before you know it, those old cadence exercises will start to make sense. . .
and . . . SOUND GOOD. . .
. . . you are really GETTING IT!
Remember, you are never too young. . .
Or, too old!
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Chords and Harmony Blog
- The Chords and Harmony BLOG keeps you up-to-date with site changes. It introduces you to intervals, scales, key signatures, chords and chord progressions...
- Piano Enthusiasts
- Piano Enthusiasts has various resources, venues, directories and websites for piano enthusiasts
- musical steps
- musical steps - the make up of all scales, chords and music...
- Ear Training - Auralia Software
- Ear Training - some of the best self-teaching software on the market... an easy way to use your computer for ear training
- Hear and Play
- Hear and Play; this very popular course has many useful resources that stress musical awareness
- proper hand position
- proper hand position and finger position is essential when playing the piano. It is demonstrated here....
- intervals - C major - unison, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th & octave
- Scales: a look at the different scales that are the basis of most music anywhere in the world.
- Key Signatures
- Key Signatures - major keys with sharps and flats
- Circle of Fifths
- Circle of Fifths and key signatures
- Chords and Triads
- Chords and triads - structure and quality
- primary chords, chord progressions, I-IV-V7-I chords
- primary chords, standard chord progressions - the primary chords I-IV-V7-I
- piano chord voicing
- piano chord voicing: close position, open position chords for piano
- secondary chords, chord progressions, vii-iii-vi-ii chords
- secondary chords, standard chord progressions - the secondary chords vii-iii-vi-ii
- Secondary Dominants
- Secondary Dominants - secondary chords, dominant 7th, dominant chords
- 12 Bar Blues
- 12 bar blues: sturcture and variations
- Blues Improvisation
- Blues Improvisation: taking the blues scale apart and making "licks" that work with a 12 bar blues pattern...
- Turnarounds: structure, function and examples
- piano accessories
- piano accessories, grand piano accessories: lamps, benches, metronomes, keyboards
- shop amazon
- amazon, video, kindle, gifts, all products
- Amazon Music Store
- Amazon Music Store, piano music, piano adventures, faber and faber
- Piano Adventures
- Piano Adventures is the ideal method to use for playing, understanding and enjoying the piano...
- Subscribe to Website - get Get tips and ideas about substitute chords, chord progressions and harmonic movement.
- about me
- about me: experience and site philosophy